Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dress?

Okay so for my "engagement party" I wore this lovely little dress that I have been planning all along to be my wedding dress, I was going to add some ivory and lavender skirts of tulle so it's a little less scandalous and a little more wedding dress.


But now I'm thinking I need an entirely different dress like some kind of real wedding dress. The problem with that being that I am not a fan of wedding dresses for the most part. I don't even know what style I would lean towards.

Most dresses bore me and look all the same. And they are all soooo expensive!!! It would be great to find a nice used one, vintage or otherwise. I do like shorter dresses, probably because I'm short and don't want to alter a dress I'm going to be swimming in. Actually that's why I wanted to make my own and add skirts, because I could change the length whenever I wanted, I could have it coming down to the floor for the wedding and take off a few layers for a knee length skirt for the reception.

I'm also considering getting a few different vintage dresses and mish mashing them together, but I don't know if I totally have the sewing skills for that. Hmmm. So much to think about.

6 comments:

  1. Kate, I'm not sure if you're still living in Rochester...

    If you are and want to make your own dress, I'll be happy to give you help/advice when you need it. Penninah says I have "mad skillz". Don't know that I'm THAT good, but I've been sewing a very long time. I also have a huge-ish collection of patterns from the 60s and 70s that might have details you'd like to incorporate.

    Linda Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am living in Albany now, so not too far from Rochester and I'll probably be making some trips back home. I'd love to get advice from you, and I've definitely heard of your mad skillz :)

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://pinterest.com/pin/59349169/

    Just saw these 2 Elie Saab (Paris) dresses. They're two separate dresses, but imagine a mash-up of the two with a removable long skirt making a dance-able dress for the reception.

    You day, your style... but I thought I'd at least call them to your attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah those are lovely dresses. I'm trying to gather images of my style right now... lots of conflicting things hahaha, guess I need to make some hard decisions before I start designing

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't want to swim in a dress, just wear crazy platform stilettos! Rod's tall enough for it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I've already got the heels actually :)

    ReplyDelete